Sunday, December 15, 2013

Reindeer Candy Cane

I needed an quick craft for our December Girl Scout meeting of Daisies. Here is what I came up with.

This is a free SVG cut file for die cut machines from SVGcuts.com which can be downloaded here. To save time with our 6 year olds, I pre-cut the paper pieces on my Silhouette.  If these were older girls with better scissors skills, we would have done a similar craft where they cut the paper out themselves.
The above picture shows you everything you need except the bottle of glue.  A glue stick is not strong enough.

The only real trick to this project is to make sure you do not glue between the two cut slits in the dark brown paper. The candy cane slides through these slits so do not put any glue here.
Glue the face to the brown paper, then glue on the nose and eyes.  You could draw the eyes on too.  We finished ours with a pre-tied wired bow.
 My daughter wanted hers to be a girl so we glued the bow to the ear.
Don't forget to follow me on Facebook and Pinterest. Happy crafting!

Featured on:
Back to the Basics

Shared with: All Things Christams; Ornament Link Party; Inspire Me Tuesday; The Scoop; Turn it Up Tuesdays; Do Tell Tuesday; Tuesday with a Twist; Pincentive Blog Hop; Share It Link Party; Too Cute Tuesday; From Dream to Reality; Fall Into Fall; Wonderful Wednesday; Tuesday To Do; A Little Bird Told Me; Wow Us Wednesday; Homemaking Link Up; Wow Me Wednesday; Your Whims Wednesday; Homemade by You; Whatever Goes Wednesday; Treasure Hunt Thursday; Home and Garden ThursdayWildly Original Link Party; Live Laugh Linky; Pin It Thursday; Sock it To Me Thursday; Catch a Glimpse Party; Sweet and Simple Fridays; Homeacre Hop; Grace At Home; Create It ThursdayBlog Strut Owl Style; Tickled Pink Two Times; Friday Link Party; Craft Frenzy Friday; What to Do Weekends; From the Farm Blog HopFriday Food Frenzy; Merriest Blog HopFarm Girl Friday; Block Party

18 comments:

  1. Hello! I found this post vis Funky Polka Dot Giraffe's link party. What a cute idea! I think these would make great teacher gifts for kiddos to make :)
    little-miss-stitcher.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kersten. Thanks for stopping by. The project is so simple that our group of kindergartners were making suggestions about what else they would like to add on to the project. This is an adaptation of an old classic that I remember making in school. Have a great day!

      Delete
  2. Not sure I would eat the cane, it's so cute as a raindeer! Have a Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought the fruit flavored canes this year and now my daughter keeps eating them. Going to have to go back to mint next year for the decorated canes. She doesn't like mint!

      Delete
  3. Great idea and so cute. Kids would love to do this. I am pinning it.
    Have a wonderful holiday,
    Bev
    @ Eclectic Red Barn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bev. Thanks for stopping by and for the Pin. Merry Christmas to you too!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. My daughter thinks these are the best! She also likes to eat them too. I bought fruit flavored candy canes this year because she doesn't like mint. Might need to go back to mint next year to keep them on the tree!

      Delete
  5. I just bought some life savor flavored candy canes for my grandkids, I think I'll try this with them.
    Have a Merry and Blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Doreen. Good luck with the project. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks Dee. They made me happier than I expected. Such cute little faces. Next year I will have my daughter cut some out on her own so they look kid made. This is it is all I can do to keep her from cutting her own hair that falls forward as she works. Thanks for stopping by and Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  7. I like this christmas wrapping idea. Thanks for share it with us.

    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cecilia. I hadn't even remembered that until you mentioned it but when we were kids we saw lots of presents wrapped with candy canes and sometimes even chocolates! Thank you for jogging my memory. I will use that. Have a Merry Christmas and thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. Awww...these are so adorable! I would have a hard time eating the candy cane, though, I wouldn't want to mess up the adorable reindeer!

    Thanks so much for sharing on Turn It Up Tuesday! We love having you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sooo cute! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop. Wishing you a lovely weekend and a very Merry Christmas♥

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really cute idea! I love crafts like this and have in past used candy canes crafts to give as gifts. Thanks for sharing. Visiting from Tuesday with a Twist. Have a healthy happy Christmas and holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...